James G. Passé
Email: click here to contact
- Michigan and Illinois, 1979
- North Carolina; registered to practice before U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2008
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, J.D.
Associations & memberships
- State Bar of Michigan
- Illinois State, North Carolina (Past Chair Biotechnology Committee) and American Bar Associations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Triangle Intellectual Property Law Association
- National Association of Patent Practitioners
- Licensing Executives Society
James G. Passé (Jim) is the founding partner of Passé Intellectual Property, LLC. Jim’s experience includes more than 20 years in all aspects of the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications as well as all forms of patent opinions and strategic advice. Because of his varied background he has accumulated technical expertise in most areas including the life science sector, mechanical and product sector, business methods, electrical and electronic sector, and medical products.
The culmination of that experience is Jim’s ability to create strategies for developing, managing and leveraging product patent portfolios to maximize a client’s business objectives. Prior to founding Passé Intellectual Property, LLC, Jim served as head in-house patent counsel for both small companies and divisions of large multinational companies such as G.D. Searle, Genencor International, Rhone Poulenc, BASF, and most recently Xsira Pharmaceuticals.
Some of Jim’s more noteworthy accomplishments are the NutraSweet (aspartame), Frontline (fipronil) and Transfluor (GPCR assay) patent portfolios, serving as co-counsel for the first U.S. patent extension and drafting the first patent issued to a genetically modified enzyme sequence. Jim is an active speaker at events and at corporate sites. His lectures include “Basic Patent Law for the Tech-Oriented Company,” “The 10 biggest patent mistakes you can make” and “Building a Strategic Patent Portfolio – not just a good idea.”
Passé Intellectual Property, LLC serves clients throughout Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill,
in North Carolina.